Recycling Guide

Find out where to put all your recycling materials.

Click HERE to find out what you can recycle at the Solid Waste Agency

Commercial building waste

Every commercial building or renovation project involves some unneeded items. If you're planning such a project, think about how you can recycle your surplus items.

For building materials that are in good condition or still in the package, consider donating them to Habitat for Humanity's ReStore.

For other used, unwanted or scrap items, businesses can bring them to one of the Cedar Rapids/Linn County Solid Waste Agency's two locations (limited items accepted at 2250 A Street SW).  Please check our Recycling Guide for specific items, but in general, we accept these building and renovation materials:

  • Asphalt shingles - loads must pass inspection for reduced rate.  Fee applies.
  • Cardboard - free for Linn County businesses. Only accepted at County Home Road facility.
  • Hazardous waste products - leftover paint, cleaners and more. Fee applies if eligible; only accepted at County Home Road facility.
  • Scrap metal - aluminum/metal siding, aluminum frame windows, chain link fencing, gutters, metal sheds and more. Free for Linn County businesses.
  • Wood and wood products - landfill items. Regular garbage fee applies.

 What do you do with building waste?

  • Asphalt shingles - are processed by a contracted firm.Typically, they are ground up and used in roads.
  • Cardboard is processed into new paper products.
  • Hazardous materials are recycled or safely processed by an external vendor.
  • Scrap metal is baled and processed by a contracted firm.